Benefits of Joining Sports at the Y
Playing a sport at any age is beneficial. If you’re trying to find a way to stay motivated and stay active, sports may be your best option. A few of the key benefits of joining sports at the Y – or anywhere – include:
- Sports teach teamwork. Joining a sport helps teach teamwork, especially in kids. You need to work together to reach your goals and win a game.
- Physical health. Sports are physically intense, and if you engage in sports, they offer immense physical benefits. You'll build muscle, burn more calories and even improve flexibility by joining a sport.
- Weight management. Sports help you burn more calories and better maintain your weight. If you’re struggling to lose or maintain weight, join a sport.
- Self-esteem. Many people lack self-esteem and confidence. Kids and adults will build self-confidence and self-esteem by working hard in their respective sports.
- Academics. In adolescents, sports may even improve academic performance. Many athletes learn the importance of hard work and discipline, and they bring these skills to their schoolwork, too.
If you haven’t already, sign up for one of our recreational teams or join a youth league. We even have private lessons and pick-up games for those that can’t commit to scheduled sports games.
Countryside YMCA offers a variety of recreational teams and leagues for youth and adults intended to promote activity which encourages fitness, fun and fellowship in the form of organized sports. YMCA Sports can be used as a way for kids and adults to meet new people and become part of the community, or they can be used as a way for you to hone your own skills. We recommend clinics for anyone just starting out followed by private sports lessons, classes and sports leagues.
Our leagues are a great way for anyone that plays sports and wants to further practice and advance in their respective sport.
Sports leagues allow kids to try out numerous sports and have an opportunity to gain confidence. We'll help all players gain the skill and confidence they need to reach their full potential, whether they’re playing baseball, basketball, flag football or soccer.
All YMCA members are encouraged to participate in our sport classes and pick-up games.
Enroll in sports at the Y today!
Join us for great sports classes that include baseball, basketball, climbing, fencing, judo and so much more.Read more
Be a part of an out-of-school sports league, including baseball, basketball, flag football and soccer.Read more
Increase your game with private sports lessons in baseball, basketball, soccer, volleyball and more.Read more
Can’t commit to a league? Pick-up games are held every day and available to people of all ages.Read more
YMCA sports clinics help teach the basics of baseball and basketball so that players have a strong foundation when joining a team.Read more
Register now to in our charity golf outing and help raise money for our Annual Campaign. Learn more here. Read more