Countryside YMCA's History
Forty years ago two Warren County residents looked out over vacant land in Lebanon and envisioned a large, modern YMCA on the site.
Back then, fewer than 84,000 people called the county ‘home.’
Industrialist Ralph J. Stolle and land developer George Henkle created the vision and enlisted other community leaders to join them.
Today, your Y serves Warren County’s almost 215,000 residents.
From then until now, at a glance:
- 1973: The Design and Building committee begins work
- Members included:
- Neil Armstrong, former astronaut, and the first man to walk on the moon
- Marvin Young, Lebanon attorney
- Charles Hamilton, President of Hamilton Excavating
- Mike Norris, Lebanon businessman
- Ellis Thompson, Lebanon area Realtor and developer
- Jack Singerman, a professional with many years in Y leadership
- 1976: Fund raising campaign gets underway
- 1977: Groundbreaking for the initial 107,000 square foot building
- 1978: The Ralph J. Stolle Countryside YMCA opens its doors
- 1985: Y members join in a mortgage-burning ceremony
- 1988: The Day Camp shelter opens
- 1989: The Children’s Center, our full-time child care program begins
- 1995: A remodeling creates our comfortable Stolle Center
- 2001: A significant expansion sees the creation of the Cardio Strength Center, Family Aquatic Center, Sports Arena, gym, and indoor track
- 2001: The Y partners with Atrium Medical Center, and physical therapy and rehabilitation programs are now on site. The partnership also provides free or low cost health and wellness programs to Y members
- 2007: The Landen branch at 316 US Highway 22 & 3 opens for the convenience of residents in the fast-growing southern Warren County area
- 2012: The Countryside YMCA | Landen location opens with more fitness options and amenities to better serve the Deerfield Township area
- 2013: Otterbein Life Enrichment Center opens in Lebanon
- 2014: CrossFit added
- 2015: Makeover Madness Renovations begin! The facility will remain open throughout the renovations. For a complete list of planned renovations, see the Renovation page.
- 2016: Purchased Grace Community Presbyterian Church located at 6246 Turning Leaf Way, Maineville, OH 45039. Arts summer camps and liscenced childcare availble here.